Tips for Avoiding Electrical Disasters in Your Home

Electrical Contractors Winnipeg

Electrical Contractors Winnipeg

Electricity. It is something we all need in our homes and without it, there would be many functions within your home that you would not be able to do. While we do enjoy using it, it is important that you know how to avoid electrical fires and know what to do in an emergency situation.

Unfortunately, electricity does increase the chance of problems within your home, especially if you are not inspecting your wires and paying attention to signs of a problem. Before you panic though, we will go over some tips to help you deal with your electricity properly, so that you can minimize any risks within your home.

  1. Avoid Yanking Cords Out of the Wall Socket

Sometimes it is easier to just tug on a cord and yank it out of the wall socket instead of walking over to it and gently removing it. While convenience is important, you do not want to do this because it can damage the interior wiring within your wall.

When the interior wiring is damaged, you may have trouble receiving power through the outlet or a fire may start due to exposed or damaged wiring.

Another thing to keep in mind is when you remove the plug from the wall socket, you should never place your finger on the metal prongs of the plug as you can receive a shock. Always hold the plug on the rubber material when removing it from the wall socket.

  1. Check Wires and Cables Periodically

Cabling and wires running throughout your home is nothing new, but did you know that a faulty wire or one that has been damaged can cause you injury? In fact, you could be shocked when touching the wire or a fire could start, if the wire is left on carpet.

If you notice that any wiring or cabling on any of your home appliances are loose or damaged, replace them promptly. If you notice that wiring throughout your home, such as wiring to your ceiling fans or lights is faulty, contact an electrician immediately.

  1. Avoid Water and Electricity

While we all know that water and electricity do not mix, it can be easy to forget about when you are working around your home. For instance, placing an electric radio next to your sink while doing dishes can result in an electrical shock, a possibly deadly one, if the radio falls into the sink. You should keep all electrical items away from sinks and other areas of water including the bathroom.

  1. Avoid Making Your Own Repairs

If you are not a trained electrician, then do not make your own electrical repairs. Doing so is risky, increases the risk of an electrical fire, and can result in serious injury or death. It is best to leave these types of jobs to professionals.

If you need to make a small repair to something within your home such as your refrigerator or a television, make sure that you unplug the appliance first to avoid any injuries or shocks.

If you are in need of electrical repairs around your home or you need new wiring, call the professionals at Powertec Electric today.